Forcing myself to end this day a little early (it’s only 7:30pm!) so I can get some R&R and not get too burned out.
Today was reasonably productive.
- I tried to get svn working with Unity, but in the end I decided it wasn’t worth the time at this point
- I changed my lighting setup so it’s not so harsh directional. Of course now I’m using 3 directional lights, and running into problems when Unity switches my spotlight to per-vertex instead of per-pixel. I’m hoping to be able to bake my lighting eventually, but we’ll see.
- Saved some space by shrinking textures. Changed the material color for the main character
- Changed some gameplay dynamics
- Put in “level title” functionality
- Wrote down very detailed steps on what meshes are required and what I need to do to them in Blender, so that they work nicely with my Unity game objects.
- Made a simple GUI for when you’re in the level and need to return to the main menu, or reset the level.
So now I basically plan out the level on paper, and then start building it in Blender using my checklist. I’ve built the first 3 levels today, and It’s taking about an hour to create each (plus the time to fix bugs I encountered).
I’ve got some decent ideas for the next few levels. Hopefully in the end I’ll have around 8. Will I be able to get them all done tomorrow and then just work on polish? (And perhaps release a build).